Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday 23 September 2023

Sustainability Summit 2023

So this might be a bit of a long post but it totally deserves one! 

Dave and I attended the South Shore Sustainability Summit at the NSCC Lunenburg campus and it was an absolutely amazing day! It was incredible to meet so many passionate and knowledgeable humans who really care about our forests, oceans, social justice, animals and our future! It was very refreshing to connect with people who are doing so much to help our communities and the planet and It gave me such a sense of hope and gratitude which I honestly needed right now in my life. 

Living with a disability and depression, I often feel hopeless, not just about my own situation but seeing the state of our world. It sometimes feels like the problems are too huge and I often ask “what can I as one tiny person do”? Being vegan, you could say I have a larger awareness on environmental issues involving our animal industries and I am very aware of the devastation that humans have caused this planet but I feel paralyzed sometimes, I become overwhelmed very easily with life, so it’s easy to sink into a depression that tells me there is no point to anything. 

That being said, today’s summit has invigorated me. One person can’t (or can they?) change the world but together, real things can be accomplished. We are a collective and there are so many people doing everything they can to make a difference and to me that is very inspiring! We all have a personal responsibility and, in my opinion, duty to do better.

In this post I want to highlight some of the great people and organizations at this event. 

NSCC Lunenburg Campus



Chicory Blue catered the event. The coffee was delicious and they had Silk creamer too. Our public library was there with a selection of great books.




Helping Nature Heal had this beautiful photo booth



Protecting Nova Scotia's coast was talked about by Steve Howe and Angela Jorgenson.
 


Development is threatening many of our beaches in Nova Scotia, including many on the South Shore. I am going to provide some links where you can help. Please sign the petitions and join Facebook groups.



John MacDonald discussed open pen aquaculture, particularly the Cooke Seafood company that runs off the shore of Bayswater beach that is polluting the beach. Say no to open pen fish farms!

Vegan lunch provided by Chicory Blue The focaccia was particularly amazing! Also delicious salads and falafel wrap
The youth panel was inspiring!


Bob Bancroft from Nature NS talking about protecting our forests and saving the mainland moose.    

It was absolute honour to hear from Louise Delisle founder of SEED and I highly recommend the documentary "There's Something in the Water". Also was highly impressed with Joanna Bull of Ecology Action Centre and Alexandra Vance of The Whale Sanctuary Project

Alexandra Vance of The Whale Sanctuary Project told us about the amazing project that Nova Scotia is doing in creating a sanctuary for whales that are currently in captivity. The short film we watched was extremely emotional for me and I appreciated Alexandra's passion and compassion that was so visible in both the panel discussion and this presentation pictured. 



Came home with a lot of awesome info, stickers, pens and more. Dave also won a gift certificate to Zen Electric Bikes

We finished the day by watching a documentary called "In the Quiet and the Dark" about saving the Eastern Hemlocks and the invasive species "Hemlock Woolly Adelgid" and how they are destroying our hemlock forests. We had an awesome discussion after the screening with Sally Steele and Donna Crossland, amazing woman who are trying to save the hemlocks. The documentary is coming to CBC gem next month.


Big thank you to the organizers and everyone who came out to this event. I had an amazing time and really hope it will happen again next year! 🍑


No comments:

Post a Comment