Search This Blog

Followers

Monday 7 October 2013

Vegan Reviews-- Pangea and FFAC

I was lucky enough to a win a 50 dollar certificate to Pangea Vegan Shop from Factory Farming Awareness Coalition. Unfortunately when you live in Canada, you tend to be shocked by extremely high shipping costs, this was the case here but it was a prize so I can't complain too much. I'd love to order from places like Pangea more often but it's just not worth it with the costs.

I decided to get a few things we not only can't find in Canada but also stuff I've been wanting to try and also indulge a bit in some snack/sweet type items. The shipping was as much as the items themselves, so it seems like a small amount for 50 dollars but that's unfortunately why. I decided to try Go Max Go's bar Thumbs Up!,  Phoney Baloney's coconut bacon, Earth Balance's PB Popps and JJ Sweets Cocomels. I also got Grateful Grahams but those will be reviewed at a later date since I haven't tried them yet, saving them for smores. :) 


 Go Max Go-- Thumbs Up: For some reason I had it in my head that the Thumbs Up was like a Twix bar but to my surprise it was actually a Butterfinger style bar. I admit, it threw me off at first but it was still incredible. Delicious crunchy peanut butter center smothered in delicious milky vegan chocolate. All their bars are decadent and would make any non-vegan think twice about ever touching the "real" ones again. The Vegan Peach gives the Thumbs Up, two giant happy vegan thumbs up.


Phoney Baloney's coconut bacon: To be perfectly honest, I haven't liked bacon in many years, including when I still ate meat. Even vegan bacon grosses me out a lot of the time because of the smell alone but I really wanted to try coconut bacon since I'm a huge coconut NUT. I couldn't imagine how coconut could take on not only the smell but flavour of bacon. When I opened the bag, I got a whiff of a smoky baconish scent. I was a little apprehensive tasting it and admit, it was actually really bacony tasting, I couldn't believe it. It was okay but still a little too strong for a non-bacon fan. I decided to top my salads with it and that was awesome. It's perfect as a bacon bits type topping, adds crunch and flavour and I love that it still has a bit of coconut aftertaste.


Earth Balance's PB Popps: These are basically popcorn bites smothered in peanut butter and oats with added peanuts in the bag. Reminds me a lot of a Crunch and Munch type thing. The first couple bites I took, I wasn't all that impressed. Thought they were a little bit blander than expected, but the more you eat, the more you can't stop. I love that they are light, sweet but not too sweet and crunchy. Really an awesome snack and perfect for the popcorn and peanut butter lover, like myself.


JJ Sweets Cocomels: Where do I begin? I have always been a huge caramel and toffee fan but since going vegan, I haven't had the chance to really find vegan caramels. I tried the original and vanilla flavours, both tasted fairly similar to me but so incredibly delicious. They melt in your mouth with just the right amount of chewiness (no sticking to your teeth) and as mentioned above, I'm a huge coconut fan and these have this awesome burst of coconut flavour. One happy vegan right here!



All and all I am very happy with my choices. My only wish is that more stores locally and all over Canada will start carrying more of these incredible products. Vegan Canadians love you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment